Saturday, September 13, 2008

Be Grateful

I've been pondering this post for a few days, and I'm worried that I'm ungrateful, because it was sort of stressing me out. It's not that I don't think I'm blessed. I do. I think I'm abundantly blessed. It's just that the things I'm most grateful for (my family, my health, healthy children and the gospel) might seem like vain repetitions. So, I decided to post ten things I'm grateful for TODAY. Forgive me if they sound mundane or shallow. I count small blessings as well as large ones.


10. I'm grateful that I found my favorite shirt after two weeks of searching. It was in a Rubbermaid bin of Josie's winter clothes. (I have a theory about how it got there. I fold clothes on my bed, and when Josie needed a jacket two weeks ago, I pulled stuff out of the bin and set it on the bed, found the jacket and dumped the clothes back in, accidentally taking my favorite shirt with it.) I'm celebrating tomorrow and wearing it to church.


9. I'm grateful to have a husband who can pull me out of my emotional slumps.


8. I'm grateful that tonight I get to sleep beside him, and that I can ease almost any stress by simply laying my head on his shoulder.


7. I'm grateful that my house is clean. Nathan gets credit for this. I helped him work in the basement this morning, so he got everyone moving this afternoon to help with the house. The kids rooms are clean. The laundry is done. The floors are swept and mopped. It feels great!


6. I'm grateful for nice weather after rain.


5. I'm grateful to live in a town where people know my name.


4. I'm grateful that my husband has a job-- for now, at least.


3. I'm grateful for the quiet after the kids go to sleep.

2. I'm grateful for extended families who love us and pray for us.

1. I'm grateful that today I hugged and kissed each of the five most important people in my life.


On a side note-- I'm happy to announce that my little loafers sold-- for 99 cents to the only person who bid on them. I don't think I'm cut out for eBay!

3 comments:

  1. I don't think your items were mundane or shallow. Most of them dealt with the most precious things to you...your family.

    I'm glad your loafers sold. Don't give up on ebay yet. The Halloween costumes might do better with October coming up quick. I know I bought Jonathan a batman costume on ebay when all the stores were out of costumes one year.

    ~C

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your list of blessings. Maybe I need to focus on 10 blessings for each day. I find lately that I am struggling to focus on the positives of my life since they seem so fleeting at times and focus on the negatives (like children who won't clean, a house that is always going to need me to dig it out of a mess, my difficulties with losing weight, etc.) However, I know that I am blessed and when I start counting my blessings I could go on and on. So if I could try to find 10 things to be grateful for each day (small or big) that would help my outlook on my life. Sorry. I am just rambling. I will stop now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic post. When life is stressful, it's so easy to focus on negative things. Being grateful just kind of pulls you back so you can see the whole picture. Thanks for that perspective today!

    ReplyDelete