Tuesday, September 9, 2008

An Author's Irritation

So, I've been surfing around Etsy, and I came across several shops that offer Twilight inspired jewelry. This irritates the author in me. Unless these shop owners have specifically purchased merchandising rights, which I'm sure they haven't, I would think it's an infringement on Stephenie Meyer's copyright. And really, why should they be making money off characters that she created? It should be her right to produce a jewelry line inspired by the series and bearing the names of her characters. The same is true for Harry Potter. There is a lot of Harry Potter inspired merchandise on Etsy, some of it bearing charms and words that J.K. Rowling invented.

So, I want to know how far the merchandising copyrights go. Once I'm agented, this is going to be question number two. (Right after, How much can you sell the book for?) Because, personally, I would retain my merchandising rights and put out of business anyone who infringed on them. But that's just me. I suppose Stephenie Meyer and J.K. Rowling are much nicer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment