Last Tuesday, October 7th, I was talking to Nathan on the phone. I admit I was depressed, down-trodden, completely pessimistic. I was tired of not knowing where we're supposed to be and what we're supposed to be doing, tired of the house not selling and worried that it will, tired of writing and writing and getting rejected over and over again. (I think I failed to mention my last rejection. Needless to say, I'm NOT getting that great agent I'd hoped for.) So, in this phone conversation I was UNLOADING on Nathan.
He sighs and says, "Why don't you just go downstairs, plug in the treadmill, and go for a walk.
Seriously, do you think that is what I wanted to hear?
At my silence, Nathan replies, "Now you're mad."
"No, you're right," I said. "I'll call you tomorrow." Somehow I didn't want to talk to him anymore, BUT here's the amazing thing. For once I listened to him. I went downstairs, found and extension cord, plugged in the treadmill and instead of walking, I ran. I ran two miles. Since last Tuesday, I've logged fourteen and a half miles. And, here's the jaw-dropping part-- I've been looking forward to putting the kids to bed each night, so I can run. This is so unlike me, but everyday after I step off the treadmill, I feel great.
The other day, Nathan and I had a nearly perfect morning. We sent the boys off to school, put Josie down for her nap, Mazie was watching a movie, and Nathan and I went down to the basement. While I ran, he set his mountain bike up on the stationary stand and biked. He had the stereo down there, tunes pumping from the iPod, and my thought was, "Hey, we're back!" This is the couple we've been intermittently when we didn't have a newborn or sick kids, when Nathan had a schedule that allowed us time to work out together. He's very committed to fitness; I'm the slacker.
I packed away my scale. For now I'm focusing on getting in shape, and I know that I won't automatically drop pounds doing it, so I'd rather not know. I'd be happy dropping a few inches (around the middle).
So, the next time I get a devastating rejection letter, instead of drowning my sorrows in cinnamon rolls (yes, I did that), I'm going to run until I catch the tail of my dreams again and have the drive to move forward. Rejection is a killer on inspiration. I haven't been able to write a single page since that letter came, but running is good for my mind. Usually, I don't listen to music, and my thoughts run with me. If I'm on a creative train, the repetition of running often gives me the words. Lately, however, I keep missing the train.
Pigs And Dogs
2 days ago

Good for you on the running!!! I wish I could be that motivated to be fit, I have good starts but never enough to be habit forming, I know the effects of fitness are so good for the mind, body, and soul, but its so hard to take the time... I always make excuses of why not too instead. Keep it up!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for the rejection and subsequent discouragement that you have been facing. I have been struggling myself with feelings of being overwhelmed by all the roles I have and not feeling competent in any of them. So I understand a little where you are coming from.
ReplyDeleteIt is funny about the running thing, though. We just got Wii Fit and I tried out the running just to see how much it would kill me(as has been my experience at all other times I have tried running.) However, I find that I have been able to run (in place) for 30 minutes without needing to stop or pass out--I feel good! All the stationary biking and other exercise I have been doing is actually making a difference! I have now been wondering if I would be able to handle an actual run. I think I might be able to make it 1/2 a mile before I would need a break. That may not seem like much but it is a lot more than I think I have ever been able to do before. I have actually been trying to find a time that I could go experiment. Who knows, maybe I could go even farther!
I am SO impressed that you have run this much in only a week! Good for you Michelle!!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about the rejection letters. Don't give up though!
I'm impressed. I too usually choose to drown my sorrows/worries/tiredness with food. Maybe I'll take after you and start excercising. I'm asking for a treadmill for xmas.
ReplyDelete