Monday, October 6, 2008

Change

Yesterday, as I was listening to President Monson's talk about change in the morning session of conference, I knew that he was right-- that there will come a day when I miss the messes and the piles of laundry because my kids are no longer at home. At the same time, looking back now, I never miss the years that they were babies. Sure, they were cute and lovable, but I am so much enjoying the people that they are becoming.

The other day Josie found a water bottle on the floor. It had a screw-on cap, so I didn't bother to take it away from her. I came back a few minutes later and she was drinking the water and then dumping it on the floor. I said, "How did you get that open?" Dylan was standing behind me, and he answered, "She's a smart little stinker." I don't know why, but it struck me as so funny. I guess because it sounded exactly like what Nathan or I would have said.

For awhile I was the mom who was surrounded by the flock of unruly children, the mom who felt like she couldn't go anywhere without causing a scene of chaos. Now my kids are getting older, they are mellowing out some, and I love their individual personalities. So, while change is an inevitable part of life, I don't dread it. I will look forward to seeing the kind of parents my kids will become.

And, as far as the rest of President Monson's talk. Well, I didn't get to see it because Josie crawled off my lap, started pushing buttons on my laptop, and wouldn't you know, she pushed the power button and windows started shutting down. I could have restarted it, but I took the prophet's advice and just enjoyed playing with her. I tickled her silly.

Here are my big boys all dressed and ready to hit the neighborhood selling popcorn for cub scouts.Dylan started scouts last year. We didn't do it in first grade because I was pregnant. Last year Ethan was upset that he didn't get to do all the fun activities, so he is delighted to be a tiger cub this year. Dylan has moved up to the bear den. This is them in the homecoming parade throwing-- I love the scouts for this-- sugar-free gum at the crowd. Ethan was on the other side, so we couldn't see him.

1 comment:

  1. The talks were all so good, and I found myself relating to so many of them. I love Conference for this reason.

    How fun for both of your boys to be in scouts!

    ReplyDelete