Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween Fare

Recently this site has been running traditional Halloween menus from her family, her husband's family, and then a tie-breaker to see which menu people liked best. I have to say, I was a little disappointed. They all seemed like everyday meals to me. So, I'm posting how Janae & I do Halloween. She's better at being consistent, and every year she serves mummies, ghosts and goop. My kids won't eat the goop (tomato soup topped with cheese), so I just make the ghosts and mummies. The mummies' eyes gave me trouble because I have the humongous mustard from Costco.


Personally, I like the ghosts best, but that's probably because I grew up on a potato farm. They are just twice-baked potatoes with the bottoms cut off, then frosted with sour cream. We usually use green onions for the eyes and mouths, but I had an open can of olives in the fridge, so I used them.That's as festive as I get for Halloween. Since my kids went trick-or-treating this afternoon, they are watching a movie and waiting anxiously to answer the door and give out candy. I think they love answering the door more than the actual trick-or-treating.

3 comments:

  1. One of my other friends just blogged about the mummy hotdogs. How have I never seen these before? My kids would love them and your ghosts. I can't wait for Halloween next year!!

    ~C

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cute lil' dinner! way to go M!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute ideas! I usually do Valentine's day dinners, but I never thought about what fun a Halloween dinner could be. Maybe next year we'll have some fun with that over here.

    ReplyDelete