Wednesday, November 5, 2008

One of the Loves of my Life

Megan left a comment about my car. Yes, it seems she and I drive twin cars. I love mine, but you really need to know the story behind it.

We used to have a crew cab pick-up. Nathan bought it when we first started remodelling the house. He was careful to buy one with a bench seat, so that if we had a fourth child, we would have room. It was back when all the dealers were doing employee pricing, so we bought a new one because we got a great deal on it. We drove it off the lot with eight miles on the odometer back in 2005.

We really needed the truck back then. We were remodeling the house and put a LOT of miles on it running to town to pick up forgotten parts and such. Plus, we used to drive to Washington about four times a year, so it worked out well for that, too.

In 2007, we had Josie and suddenly we were very crowded in that pick-up. Still, Nathan wanted another truck. He had his eye on a Ford F350 here in town, but I kept trying to talk him out of it. We already had a truck. It wasn't his favorite, but it was fine. We didn't need a new one. He resisted.

Then in April of this year our niece was getting baptized, and we went down to the baptism. Nathan made one huge mistake right off the bat-- he didn't strategically place the kids in the truck. They fought the whole way to his sister's house. It was only two and a half hours, but when we got there, Nathan looked at me and said, "We are NEVER travelling in this truck again." I just nodded and hopped out, but inside I was smiling. It was his truck. Try getting a farm boy to give up his pick up. Well, that did it.

The following Monday, he went to town alone and called me about three hours later to give me the options. A maroon Expedition with leather seats for X amount of money or an all black one for Y. I said X sounded like a better deal, but I didn't really care. (Since Nathan has the job I didn't cosign on any of the papers. He picks out the car, and I drive it. I hate shopping for cars.) A few hours later he came home with this:

It's the Eddie Bauer edition, and has more options than I know how to use. Once were were on our way somewhere and Nathan said, "My seat is hot. Does this have heated seats?" Who knows? Not us. We turned down the heater to see if that helped. Our car does have a story. The dealer we bought it from gave it to his university alma mater as their recruiting vehicle, so the miles on it are from their recruiting trips. I had to tell my mom that because her boss has the same alma mater. And, no, it's not WAZZU, even thought it's cougar maroon.

At first I wasn't sure if I liked the two-tone leather on the seats. (It's light and dark.) But, it's grown on me, so now I like that, too. This summer when we went on our very long trip to Utah, I loved being able to separate the kids and have moments of silence on the trip. The best bonus is that my luggage doesn't get wet in the back!

Today is your last chance to leave a comment on the 100th post. I'm going to draw the winner for the give away tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I don't have your email... to answer your question about carving knives. It was a small Halloween carving kit knife. He did very well with it, and to tell you the truth... we didn't even think about the danger. That wasn't very smart on our part. But it turned out alright. Three years ago, Sydney did cut her finger, and Bryant was six months old and was crying and threw up all over himself at the same time, talk about crazy! Love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes we have the same vehicle. Isn't it beautiful when it's clean and shiny like that. Mine is rarely like that now that we live on the farm again. It's usually covered in dirt. But I still love the size and the auto seats! and keypad entry so I can just lock my keys in the car.

    ReplyDelete