Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Utah "Bucket List"

There were several things I wanted to do in Utah when we moved here. Now that we're leaving, I've been trying to get in as much of my "list" as possible. Unfortunately, Lagoon will have to wait. I wanted to take the family this summer, but we'll have to do something else. I also wanted to visit BYU's campus. I was planning to attend a writing conference there in June, but that, too will have to wait.

We did, however, get in some of the sights recently. First, I wanted to see the Conference Center in Salt Lake. I had been to Temple Square twice since it was completed, but once there was a concert going on while we were there, and the other time we didn't have time to tour it.
We went on a Wednesday afternoon when the boys had early release from school. Nathan decided to stay home with the girls.
The view of Temple Square from the balcony of the Conference Center. Downtown Salt Lake City seems to be under construction constantly.
The fountain on the roof of the Conference Center.
Also on the roof. It was beautiful.
This is the top of the five-tiered waterfall.
Next, we went to Temple Square. If you look very closely you can see my boys in front of the reflection pool.
Looking up...
The organ in the Assembly Hall.
The tabernacle. They had someone playing the organ while we were there. It is so cool.
Then we went to the Visitor's Center because I wanted to boys to see the Christus.
Next, we walked across the street to the Church History Museum. I lived in Salt Lake before I had kids, but I had never been to the Museum. It was one of the things I really wanted to do before leaving. Upstairs they had a children's room. The boys tried on costumes for this Nativity Scene.
... and had to have a picture with Moroni.
Next on my list of things to take the kids to see was Hill Aerospace Museum. I have driven by so many times and thought it looked like a very cool place. Plus, it's free!
Below are the boys next to the wheels...
... of this monster! They are still there if you look closely.
Ethan liked this one because it was painted in camo.
The B-52.
Inside they WW I and WW II flight section.

This balcony photo gives you a better view of the collection. It's pretty impressive. With two young boys, I didn't get to stop and read all about the different planes. I'm sure I could have learned a lot more if we had been moving slower.
One picture of Josie and I before leaving.
JoJo with her souvenirs.
I'll blog about the charms I added to my collection later. We had fun, but all this sight-seeing is kind of exhausting. I'm taking a break now.

2 comments:

  1. I have never been to those museums on my trips to Utah. Now I have to add more things on my mental list of things to do when we go. You're a good Mom for trying to squeeze all these things in for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing those pictures of Temple Square made me homesick! I miss Utah, which is ironic since I never wanted to live there in the first place. :)

    ReplyDelete