Monday, October 26, 2009

Wake up Call

"Mom, the boys called me stupid," was what I woke to this morning. You have to imagine it in the whiniest voice possible and the pitch-black darkness of a fall morning at 6:30 a.m. It was a late-start Monday, so I didn't actually have to get out of bed until 7:00, and Jojo, who climbed into bed at 3:30 was sawing logs beside me. She sleeps audibly.

With that whiny sentence and some more whining about how hungry she was and then fighting in the kitchen over the last of the cold cereal, they woke the sleeping dragon! I came out breathing fire and showing claws--It was not pretty.

So, here I am at my wits end, and I would pay big money if someone has the solution to incessant bickering. Because all our efforts seem to be in vain, and I cannot stand it anymore. Somehow I don't think duct taping them to their beds is an option. Anyone wiser than me want to offer up some free advice?

However much I'd like to pay for it, frankly I'm still broke. :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm not wiser and have no free advice. But, my dad (who is much wiser than me, would tell us to "go kill each other somewhere else, I don't want to see it", or "go fight somewhere else, I'm tired of hearing it".
    The funny thing is, we would go somewhere else, but usually the act of moving to the new location would make us forget about what we were fighting about and we would end up doing something else.
    Don't know if that will help your situation, but I have been known to say the same thing to my kids when I have had ENOUGH!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everyone with children has this problem... with us it is always either a twelve year old or a ten year old against a four year old, go figure!

    I mailed my first snowflake to a biggest loser today! Thank you so much for making those for me again.

    ~kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give your kids a digital clock (if they claim they "can't tell what time it is") and explain what will happen to them if anyone comes into your room before the pre-designated time. Some ideas include: no hot breakfast, no hot drinks, favorite toys put in time out until after school, removal of a privilege, no hugs or kisses (just jokin'!!), grouchy Mommy, etc. Although I hated it as a kid, the "group punishment" works well. "I don't care who broke the rule, no one gets hot eggs this morning because Mommy was awoken before 7am." Brainstorm a list of things they can do to occupy themselves if they wake up too early and post it on their bedroom doors or in the hallway. Our kids are allowed to read in their rooms, or Alex can get cereal going for the both of them. Another effective tactic for me is the feigning of deep sleep. I won't even respond and they eventually go away. Or I will ask, "What is the first number on the clock?" Usually they leave without further prompting once they realize they are about to awaken the Dragon. It is well known in our household that Mommy is not a morning person and life is better for everyone if Mommy is allowed to sleep for as long as possible. Daddy, however, is a morning person and he gets woken up waaaaay more than Mommy. (I actually use the deep sleep trick more on him ;-))

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete