Tuesday, March 3, 2009

What were you doing?

What were you doing at 5:09 this morning? I was writing. Hip-hip-horray!

There is a story behind this madness. You see, I've felt it's important to support my husband in this new job, so I've made an effort to get up with him when he goes to work. I stumble into the kitchen and help make his lunch, sit with him while he eats breakfast. It's actually really nice to have a quiet moment alone. Then, he heads out the door, and I climb back into bed. Some days I fall right to sleep, but the last few days, I've just laid in bed wishing I was asleep.

This morning, laying in bed wishing I was asleep, I thought, "If I was a die-hard exerciser, I'd go down and run on the treadmill." Then I thought, "If I was a die-hard writer, I'd get up and turn on the laptop. I lay there for another ten minutes, and finally at 5:09 A.M. I turned on the laptop. I wrote in complete quiet for an hour. Then I decided I was hungry, and when I got up to make toast, Dylan heard me. I told him he could stay up, but only if he was quiet enough not to wake anyone else. I went back into my room and wrote for another half hour. Then Mazie woke up, and I could no longer enjoy any measure of peace and quiet. It was time to make breakfast and start being a mom.

Still, I'm happy. I should do this more often.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah!! I'm glad you are finding time to write again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a good woman...Getting up with your hubby like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wishing I could sleep too. Rough night thanks to hormones and belly. Writing something new? or revamping the old?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wishing I could sleep too, but not because of something great and productive like you were doing! I was awake because my sweet husband was snoring...again!

    ReplyDelete