Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I Seriously Considered....

I seriously considered giving up blogging.

When I started this blog in June, life was good. Things were going so well for us. I had lots of witty and optimistic things to say. Now life sort of stinks, and I don't feel like sharing. So, I wondered, "Should I just bag the blog altogether?" I had this meltdown yesterday... and the day before... and sort of this morning, too. But tonight, I'm feeling okay, so I'll dump on you all some more.

We are definitely moving. On Monday. No, our house did not sell. We're just leaving it empty, paying the mortgage (GULP) and moving.

Last Wednesday, Nathan received a job offer. It was the first, but also a very good offer. He told them he wanted to think about it. That was the big sigh. Okay, we will have a job again. It will be soon, but wait.... is this the right offer? We thought and waited and prayed and hoped. On Sunday we fasted. We had to give them an answer by Monday. Every time I'd try to figure out the dollars and cents of this move and the new job and a mortgage plus rent, I got so stressed that I'd start to cry. Then, I'd pray about it and ask if it was the right choice, and I'd have peace. Finally, on Sunday Nathan and I decided that we would take the offer.

His former employer had called back on New Years Day and said that they would like to have Nathan back, but they weren't in the financial circumstance to rehire him. If they got more money, he'd be the first guy they hired. We held out hope, but they didn't call before our deadline, so we knew it was time to stop hoping and move on. He's been out of work for almost six weeks. We need a job.

On Monday we went to the new state and began looking for a house to rent. I was so overwhelmed by the city. I've lived in small towns too long. The entire time we were there, I was weepy. Nathan looked at me and said, "You have got to pull yourself together." I KNOW! What was with me? I was just so freaked out by the fact that my kids are going to be just another chair in a classroom instead of really mattering to their teachers. That they're going to have to learn to never leave their bikes out or they'll be stolen. That they can never take their favorite toy to school, or it won't be coming home again. This is stuff we haven't had to deal with in our little haven town. My boys' teachers actually got tears in their eyes when I told them we were leaving. People here love us like we've never been loved before. I hate to give it up. I don't know why this is the course that the Lord set us on, but we'll go where we have to go.

So, this week we're packing. On Monday, Nathan is scheduled to pick up the Uhaul. By Tuesday afternoon, we'll be gone. Wednesday morning, we'll be unpacking in our new home.

The thing is, I should be excited about all this. There are some great benefits to this move:
1. A temple only minutes away
2. A lot more LDS kids for my kids to be friends with
3. A steady job that is NOT in a mine
4. A house that is across the street from the school-- I will be able to look out the living room window and watch the kids come out of the school building.
5. No more driving 80 miles to go grocery shopping.
6. A ward big enough that you'll only be asked to speak every other year or so. ;)
7. I'll actually get to see my husband everyday.
8. More mountain biking than Nathan could dream of
9. We won't have to plan a family vacation because there's enough to do without going anywhere.
10. Really good benefits, and great hospitals close by

See, this should be a good thing for us. It's just that this farm girl likes open spaces and neighbors who actually know her name. Maybe someday we'll have that again. But seriously, I'm such a hermit most of the time I had to ask myself why I care if I have friends there. I don't do stuff with my friends now. I can still call Michelle everyday if I want, just like I still call my mom and my sister almost everyday now. So, here we go-- a new city, a new ward, a house that isn't as nice as the one we have now. It will be all right. I haven't cried in hours. Maybe tomorrow I won't cry at all.

8 comments:

  1. Moving is a hard thing to do, I know. Did you look for places a little further out of population or was it too far away for work? I'll keep you in my prayers... Good luck and we come to Utah every summer. I'll get Janae to follow me down to Utah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,
    You are the one who MAKES your community wherever you go. It won't be the same, but it can still be something that feeds your soul. You CAN get to know your neighbors, and make sure they know your name. Write their names down as soon as you meet them. I had to do that when we moved to Spokane. If no one brings you a baked treat as a 'welcome to the neighborhood' gift, then maybe you can bake them treats and take them over with your kids. Keep looking until you find something that fits you. I tried out 3 different Mom groups before I settled on the one best for me. Change, even when you were so happy to start with, can also be exciting ;-) I hope that years from now you will say, "Man, we were so lucky to end up in Ogden! We never would have met 'insert name of best friends here' or done 'insert name of favorite pastime here'." I will pray for Peace for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'd like to say it's all going to be great... but I'm still in the thick of it... still missing Big Twig terribly, having a very hard time seeing the positive. I talked to Pam C last night and she said the school is very sad to see another good family leave. But I do wish you guys the best of luck. You'll be that much closer to Nates dream town... and only a days drive to visit the Blank family, and all those positives you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I read your post, I had lots of thoughts that I wanted to send your way, but after reading Victoria's comment, I don't think I can add anything else. She said exactly what I was thinking. Yes, this will be hard. Change always is. But change is good. Change allows new opportunites for growth. Embrace it. And in the words of our sweet Elder Wirthlin, "Come what may, and love it."

    You will get through this, I have no doubts.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is keep an open mind and an open heart and the Lord will bless you to be able to handle this new challenge.

    Look at that. I thought I wouldn't have anything else to add after Victoria's wonderful comment, and here I am spouting off all sorts of advice ;) Go figure ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we moved, I was really nervous about my kids becoming just another number in a big school. All of my fears have been for nothing though. All three kids have great teachers and are doing so well. The biggest difference is that the school doesn't cater to the parents at all, unlike BT. But, if my kids are okay, then I won't care about warm fuzzy feelings for me. ;)
    Good luck. This is a hard time for everyone. I guess that should give us some comfort. We're not alone.
    I'm glad you're blogging again. I missed hearing about what was going on. Please keep blogging even when you have nothing positive or witty to say. It's nice to hear reality too. And, at some point you'll be back to positive and fun blogs.

    ~C

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle,
    I hope you do not stop blogging. I would really miss you. I can only imagine the different emotions you must be feeling. Change is good, but sometimes it is hard to leave things and people you love and are familiar with.
    I know you can do this! I am jealous of your lucky new neighbors already. They are going to be lucky to have you and family in their neighborhood and ward and school. I wish you the very best of luck. (and its OK to have a good melt down every now and then.) You can pull yourself back together. You will be alright.:)
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know, know, know what you mean about blogging! It's tough to blog about happy, chirpy things when you're dealing with heavy things. I hope this move ends up being the best thing in the world for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We Love you and not just because you are family.

    ReplyDelete