When Mazie was in Sunbeams, her teacher was great at braiding hair. After the lessons were done, she'd braid Mazie's hair for fun. Mazie came home several times and asked me why I couldn't do her hair like that. Well, I know the general concept of braiding, but I've never practiced much. Mazie has never stood still long enough for me to do more than run a brush through her hair. There were months along the way, when it was a fight just to let me touch her hair, and she always looked like some wild street urchin.
It got to the point that I'd say on Sunday morning, "Mazie, let me do your hair," and she'd reply, "No, I'll just have Tracy do it."
Finally, I told her that I could learn to braid if she'd let me, but it would take me longer than it takes Tracy. She agreed and was excited to let me braid her hair. One nice thing is that she can't see how bad it looks. She just see the front, and it basically looks the same. Mostly we started with just a single French braid. Occasionally, she'll ask for different things. These are pictures of our latest, bangs-only braid.



It's been months since the last time she wanted a braid. This past summer she saw someone with pixie braids (Mazie calls them may braids, but I'm not sure if that's the right term) and wanted me to do that. The braids are crooked, but she didn't care.

Now, if I can only learn to braid my own hair!
I love the bangs only braid! I wish Hannah would let me braid her hair. I think she feels like she's too old for it. Maybe if I show her the this one, she'll come around. Anything to keep her hair out of her face :)
ReplyDeleteMazie is SO darn cute!!
Tracy braided Kynzies hair when she was baptized. I'd really like to learn... I've tried... it just never looks very good.
ReplyDeleteMy girls won't let me french braid anymore, because I'm no good at it. Good for you for trying, it really does look good!
ReplyDeleteI have never been able to French braid! I have tried a few times but....ehhhh. I think yours looks great (I guess it helps when your model is as cute as Mazie is)
ReplyDeleteYour tree photos are fantastic! And I love your farm sled. We have pictures of the same thing but my kids are sitting in a plastic swimming pool. I made a scrapbook page and titled it "White Trash Snow Day."
Yes...I can't wait to get to your manuscript. I started the other book while we were in Yakima for Cayden's basketball games. :)
She is beautiful!!!
ReplyDeleteI really have so much to learn about hair. My poor daughter. You have insprired me to practice.