I am the worst tooth fairy in the world. Losing a tooth at my house usually turns out like this:
Child loses a tooth and is ecstatic to receive a visit and $$$ from the tooth fairy.
Child may lose the tooth before bedtime and have to leave a note instead of the tooth, but no matter. This tooth fairy doesn't take the teeth. She's always let the kids keep them as souvenirs. (Gross ones, mind you. Once Josie came out of Dylan's room chewing on what I thought was a rock. When she spit it into my hand, I realized it was one of his ousted molars. GROSS!!!)
Child goes to bed.
Parent goes to bed.
Child runs into parents' room first thing in the morning crying, "The tooth fairy didn't come!"
Parent thinks, "OH, crumb. I forgot-- again." Parent says, "Go back and look around. I'll come and help you."
Child leaves and parent digs through purse to find quarters, which she hides in her palm. She then goes to the child's room and makes a great show of searching the blankets, meanwhile dropping the quarters into the mess. Child exclaims, "I heard something!"
Ta-da! "Oh," parent says, "I guess the tooth fairy came after all."
I can't wait until they no longer believe in the tooth fairy.
Pigs And Dogs
2 days ago

That sounds like us too! My kids have left notes asking to keep theri teeth too. They usually misplace them before bedtime, so that saves me too!
ReplyDeleteI laughed so hard over this post. Our poor kids have a very impaired tooth fairy. No one believes in her anymore.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteha ha ha!! must be a common thing! i almost always forget, then i have to make up an excuse or sneak it in there too!!
ReplyDeleteIn our house my excuses for the tooth fairy not coming over the years:
ReplyDelete"the tooth fairy couldn't find your tooth in this messy room, clean it and try again tonight"
"the tooth fairy doesn't give money for teeth that have fillings, you should brush more"
"it snowed last night the tooth fairy doesn't like snow"
" the tooth fairy can't find teeth under your pillow, you need to put it out somewhere you can see it"
And then there is always the trusted "maybe she was too busy lastnight, maybe she'll come while your at school."
I still wonder who started that dumb tradition anyway!
Too funny!! I don't know why we as parents don't just abolish the whole tradition. Jason takes care of it in our house because it just isn't at the top of the priority list for me and I would forget EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
ReplyDeleteI have so done that! We some time blame it on vacations. Like maybe it's because we're on vacation or maybe the tooth fairy is. I think we both have years left of kids believing so hopefully it will get easier to remember eventually.
ReplyDeleteYour tooth fairy sounds exactly like our tooth fairy ;)
ReplyDeleteThat is sooooo me! I can never remember to do the tooth fairy routine. I need to try palming some quarters and searching the bed like you. Then I won't have to keep dragging out the suspense each night waiting to see if the "tooth fairy" will finally remember her job!
ReplyDeleteI hate the tooth fairy. I finally get so fed up that I tell my kids that there is no such thing and to just let me know when they loose a tooth and I will hand them a dollar.
ReplyDeleteThis is hilarious!! I have only had to play tooth fairy once, so it involved special containers, special coins and the video camera. I am sure it will get old pretty fast.
ReplyDelete